September is fully underway, which means our Eye on Curriculum blog series has switched focus to another featured section: Foreign Language. With our classrooms becoming more diverse, there has never been a more opportune time to incorporate new languages and cultural traditions into your lesson plans.
abcteach is proud to provide you teaching materials for five unique languages: American Sign Language (ASL), French, German, Italian, and Spanish. We also have a comprehensive section for English as a Second Language (ESL) teachers and students. Within each section, you’ll find a diverse array of resources, including posters, worksheets, activities, interactive games, and more, for learning the language as well as cultural traditions. Our materials range from beginner level to more advanced, are adaptable to all school settings, and can be used with any student age group (including adult learners!).
In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month starting shortly, our first featured language is Spanish. Take a peek below to find a sampling of the categories found on our free and member sites. The topics covered include everything from conjugation to cultural traditions, and can be used in conjunction with your classroom curriculum or for practice at home.
• Basic Grammar – pronunciation, verbs, tenses, and spelling
• Culture – holidays and daily life
• Flashcards – seasons, days of the week, animals, and sports
• Math/Numbers – Spanish number words, addition, simple problems, and flash cards
• Reading Comprehension – topics include American history, science, geography, and more for multiple age groups
• Vocabulary – weather, sports, Montessori, interactives, senses, colors, and more.
Learning new languages opens the door for new experiences, relationships, and seeing the world from a different perspective. In the next couple weeks, we will journey through our other language sections, bringing you special highlights to share with your students and colleagues… and maybe even your family at home!
Posted by Lindsey Elton, abcteach Team