Have you heard the word “bored” too many times these hot July days? Do you wonder if your young scholars have done enough reading and writing recently to maintain the levels they achieved last school year? If your answer is yes, we have some solutions for you!
- Head to abcteach’s “Summer Fiction” files (free | member). You’ll find a plethora of short stories and booklets on summer topics from slugs to family vacations. With related activities for kindergarten through middle-school, you’re sure to find something that resonates with any young reader. Plus, we are adding new fiction every week this month.
- Did you ever organize your own neighborhood or school club? abcteach makes it easy for kids in any summer program with our Learning Club packets. In each theme, you’ll find colorful logos and all the things kids imagine for a serious club, from membership cards to book covers. Here are three samples from the member site to get kids excited about summer reading and writing.
• Reading Rangers – provides materials for early readers
• Eager Readers – has a version of club materials for elementary and upper elementary levels
• Fiction Fanatics – for the serious reader-writer; find packets at the primary, elementary and upper elementary levels for a club to encourage both the reading and writing of fiction
When the days are hot, summer reading adventures are a cool way to add a dose of education and entertainment. As you’re gathering ideas, don’t forget to check out our theme units and family activity planners, too. In no time, you’ll find that the cases of the blues are just a thing of past.
~the abcteach team